Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) released new data on Thursday revealing that air ticket sales from ARC-accredited travel agencies reached $7.7 billion in April 2022, signaling a 156% year-on-year increase. the other compared to April 2021.
However, ARC reported that month-over-month total sales performance remained relatively stable due to an expected seasonal decline in passenger travel offset by airfare costs reaching levels not seen in recent years. seven years. The average U.S. round-trip ticket price for April was $585, an 8% increase from March and a 45% year-over-year increase.
Month-over-month, total sales fell 1% in April, while total passenger travel fell 10%, U.S. domestic travel fell 11% and travel international markets decreased by 8%.
The total number of passenger trips settled by ARC last month rose 52% year-on-year, from 14.7 million to 22.5 million. US domestic travel rose 41% to 14.5 million while international travel rose 78% to 7.9 million over the same period as more countries eased travel restrictions related to COVID-19.
Finally, April Electronic Miscellaneous Document Sales or EMD, including charges for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked baggage, unaccompanied minor, in-cabin pet, etc. Meanwhile, EMD transactions increased by 79% to 225,135 during the same period.
“April month-over-month sales and total passenger numbers are in line with pre-pandemic travel trends. We continue to monitor the impact of rising airfares on traveler demand,” said Steve Solomon, vice president of global customers and data products at ARC. in a statement accompanying Thursday’s report. “Before the pandemic, we generally saw a decrease in passenger travel from March to April and an even deeper drop in sales compared to what we have seen this year.”
For the latest travel news, updates and deals, be sure to subscribe to the TravelPulse daily newsletter here.
Click here to view more ARC data.